Golf Course Superintendent position available at Oak Brook GC, Edwardsville, IL
Established in 1972 by Wilbur and Larry Suhre, Oak Brook has a long history of providing golfing enjoyment in the St. Louis area. Oak Brook is a family owned, 27-hole golf course located northeast of Edwardsville, Illinois. The average yearly rounds range from 35,000-40,000. The staff at Oak Brook is one of the most prize possessions of the course. The small workforce of eight outside staff and four inside staff have three employees with over 30 years of service, three employees with over 20 years of service, and two employees with over 10 years of service. Having been rated the “Friendliest Staff in Golf” multiple times by St. Louis publications, Oak Brook has a family feel for both employees and golfers.
Our mission statement is: To provide everyone a safe and fun place to play golf for a reasonable fee. To give our customers the best possible golfing experience by making them feel welcome with excellent service and a smile.
POSITION: Superintendent LOCATION: Oak Brook Golf Club
9157 Fruit Road
REPORTS TO: Owner
Superintendent LOCATION: Oak Brook Golf Club
9157 Fruit Road
Edwardsville IL 62025
Responsible for all activities related to the care and maintenance of the golf course, grounds, and equipment. Plan and implement budgets. Hire, train and supervise staff. Apply relevant landscaping, horticultural principles to assure quality standards are consistently achieved and/or exceeded.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement annual maintenance budget and operating according to Company operating policies and procedures to ensure cost containment.
- Plan and implement staffing schedules to ensure quality standards are achieved at minimum employee cost. • Maintain the golf course in proper playing condition according to Company standards.
- Develop and maintain drainage, irrigation, pumping and water reservoir systems.
- Supervise all planting, fertilizing and care of turf, plants, shrubs, and trees on the golf course and grounds. Develop and implement a fertilizer, aeration and Integrated Pest Management program for proper turf grass and plant care. • Supervise course construction projects.
- Ensure maintenance of all appropriate quality and cleanliness standards including, but not limited to, employee hygiene and uniforms, equipment repair areas, equipment storage areas, chemical and fertilizer storage areas, receiving areas, washing areas.
- Implement and monitor the purchase ordering and receiving program to maintain proper inventories of supplies and ensure proper quantity and price on all purchases.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, relating to chemical and fertilizer storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety, etc.
- Manage employment activities for applicable staff members, including but not limited to, personnel recruitment and selection, performance evaluations, training, discipline, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments through continuous attention to industry periodicals and participation in relevant trade associations and organizations.
- Maintain accurate records for pertaining to department activities including, but not limited to, labor schedules, course maintenance, construction activities, equipment repair, safety meetings and activities, fertilizer and chemical applications and pest control practices. • Perform other duties as appropriate.
- High school education required; college degree preferred.
- At least three years working with transition zone grasses including Bent, Zoysia, Bermuda, Kentucky Bluegrass • Three years minimum working as Head Golf Course Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent. • Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, staff management.
- Demonstrated quality written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including weekends.
- Positive attitude, professional manner and appearance in all situations.
Assistant Superintendent; Maintenance Foreman; Equipment Operators; Equipment Technician; Laborers Classification:
Full-time, Non-Seasonal, Salaried, Exempt
Work hours may include days and evenings on weekdays and weekends. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. May be exposed to inclement weather, potentially dangerous chemicals, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, misdirected golf balls, sharp and rapid equipment movement on a daily basis. Injury may result as a result of exposure to the above if safety policies and practices are not properly followed.
OSMAC Watering System, Golf cars, trucks, spray equipment, mowers, heavy machinery.
Must have the ability to:
- Read and write (English)
- Communicate verbally with staff members and/or customers with or without the use of two-way radios. • Give and/or follow verbal and written instructions
- Supervise subordinates
- Visually inspect all work areas, golf course and grounds
- See players on the golf course, and to follow the flight of golf balls
- Operate vehicles and equipment for several hours at a time
- Perform mathematical calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Retrieve, read and interpret information from technical sources
- Stand, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, bend and kneel for up to 5 hours at a time
- Lift up to 100 lbs occasionally, 50 lbs frequently, and 20 lbs constantly
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be commensurate with experience with a starting salary ranging from $50,000-$80,000. Health insurance benefits are not included and will be the responsibility of the individual to acquire. Illinois Secure Choice Retirement Program available. Free Full Golf Membership is included. Bonuses given based on business success and personal achievement.
I have read and understand all of the above. I have reviewed the principal duties for which I am responsible as well as the working conditions and physical requirements. I understand this document does not create an employment contract, and that I am employed by the Company on an “At Will” basis. I further understand this position description supersedes any and all prior descriptions issues.
Signature: __________________________________________________Date: ________________________________