Carbondale Park District is seeking a Superintendent for Hickory Ridge Golf Course.
Superintendent position is available at Hickory Ridge Golf Course in Carbondale Illinois. Applicants should send resume, job application and 2 letters of reference to PO Box 1326 Carbondale, Illinois 62903-1326, OR email@example.com
Applications are available at the LIFE Community Center, 2500 West Sunset Drive and online at CPKD.org
The Carbondale Park District is an equal opportunity employer.
SUPERINTENDENT OF GOLF COURSE MAINTENANCE
NATURE OF WORK
Thus is a supervisory position with responsibility for the maintenance of all non-building areas of the municipal golf course, and for maintenance of equipment used for this purpose. The work involves supervising subordinate staff (who performs grounds and greens keeping activities), planning and conducting physical improvement and maintenance to the golf course and maintain a budget for maintenance activities. The incumbent works under the general supervision of the Executive Director of Parks and Recreation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for maintaining 18-hole golf course including tees, fairways, greens, cart paths, driving range and the maintenance and development of an 18-hole disc golf course.
- Prepares daily, weekly and monthly work assignments for staff.
- Supervises and assists in the maintenance of golf course equipment, such as tractors, mowers and the irrigation system.
- Plans golf course maintenance, building maintenance and golf course improvement projects.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Instructs employees in equipment and operations, course maintenance practices and safety procedures.
- Maintains records of daily maintenance, including chemical and fertilizer applications, irrigation, equipment repair and expenses.
- Meets with the golf course supervisory staff and the golfing public to determine needs and/or problems.
- Prepares an operating budget for the course maintenance.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment.
- Operates equipment as needs.
- Attend weekly meeting with Superintendent of Customer Service.
REQUIREMENT OF WORK
Requires bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Agronomy or related field, three to five years’ turf management experience, or equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- Knowledge of the construction and maintenance of golf course greens, tees and fairways.
- Knowledge of maintenance of the various types of turf used in golf courses.
- Knowledge of the use of fertilizers, soil conditioners, herbicides and pest control methods.
- Knowledge of drainage and irrigation systems and related equipment.
- Ability to plan work and assign/direct staff.
- Ability to plan and carry out necessary activities to maintain golf course to accepted standard.
- Ability to maintain financial and other records related to maintenance of the course.
- Ability to work effectively and communicate orally and in writing with people at various levels, both within and outside the organization.
- Valid State of Illinois Driver’s license with good driving record.
- Certification for application of chemicals.
- Pass a Criminal Background check.